Isabella Miller Lightfoot, born in Pennsylvania and educated at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute, taught African American children in Orange County from the 1880's to the 1930's. With other African American patrons, she donated funds for a school built in Orange County in 1930, named in her honor. The building, later enlarged, served students through grad 11 until George Washington Carver Regional High School opened in 1948. Operating as an elementary school in subsequent years, the building burned in 1953. That year the county constructed a new brick Lightfoot Elementary School on Route 522 (our current building) for African Americans. County schools were desegregated in 1967-68.